The Concordia Parish Library takes pride in the historic fact that it is the second oldest Parish Library in Louisiana and the first of such Parish Libraries to be tax-supported.
Early in 1928 Mr. Glenn H. Holloway, then President of the Tri-Parish Community Organization, obtained from Miss Mary Mims a community program which briefly discussed the demonstration work of the Louisiana Library Commission. Miss Essae Martha Culver, State Librarian, was asked to attend a dinner at the King Hotel on March 9, 1928, and it was at this dinner that the library movement was launched.
Many public spirited citizens joined forces with the Ferriday Rotary Club and the Police Jury and worked with the Louisiana Library Commission on the project. In October, 1928, the Concordia Parish Demonstration Library was formally opened.
The following year the citizens of the parish, by then thoroughly convinced of the innumerable advantages of their public library, voted a tax to continue its operation.
The Ferriday Library moved in 1952 to the present site. This structure erected as a War Memorial, was started with the backing of the Community Service Club of Ferriday and other interested citizens and with an appropriation from the Concordia Parish Police Jury as a gift for the memorial project.
In the fall of 1952, after full agreement had been reached between the interested clubs of Ferriday and the Parish Library, The Concordia Parish Police Jury turned the Community Center over to the Concordia Parish Library in toto, to be operated as a parish library for the benefit of all citizens of Concordia and under the care and supervision of the Concordia Parish Library Board.